Canadian Automobility Hub
Key partners include Invest WindsorEssex, PEM Motion, Windsor Mold Group, Integris, St. Clair College, University of Windsor and the City of Windsor.
The objective of the Canadian Automobility Hub is to promote a multilateral partnership between research and industry and make optimal use of existing capabilities within the region. This will form partnerships with both national and international research centers as well as industry and foster a collaborative approach to the development of an automobility ecosystem.
The Canadian Automobility Hub’s main pillar will be a ramp-up factory that will act as a platform for both industry and research. It will combine the required infrastructure for the industrialization of components and full mobility solutions. The facility will contain all the machinery necessary to manufacture mobility prototypes. This includes but is not limited to a CNC bending machine, additive manufacturing solutions, laser welding, a mechanical workshop, a framing station, a small assembly line as well as machines available to produce and test battery prototypes and drivetrains. Having all these machines and tools under one roof creates the perfect space for cost-efficient prototyping and testing of pre-series for electric vehicles using the extensive knowledge and support of participating partners such as research groups, post-secondary institutions and private companies.
Windsor-Essex is home to Canada’s largest publicly accessible virtual reality (VR) CAVE. The Invest WindsorEssex VR CAVE is an immersive and active virtual reality environment, integrated with state-of-the-art hardware and software. The facility serves as a teaching, training and research tool for the region and beyond, designed to support connected and autonomous vehicle development.
The CAVE will provide many valuable opportunities to aid in ramp-up factory product development, including simulation, skills training, communication and collaboration. Virtual prototyping through the CAVE will allow for products and processes to be tested before final verification with physical prototypes is performed.
ENWIN Electric Vehicle Conversion Project
As this project progresses, images, videos, and interviews will be posted on this website. Watch as we document this collaborative community effort in creating a zero-emissions vehicle.
Subscribe for Blog Updates
Windsor-Essex Automobility Enterprises is a key partner of the Canadian Automobility Hub and is comprised of three companies: PEM Motion, Windsor Mold Group and Integris.
This private corporation is a Windsor, Ontario based mobility solutions provider focused on the development and manufacturing of innovative products to support the future of sustainable mobility. AE will support customers from concept to series production and assembly, locally in Windsor. Leveraging a proven model and technology partnerships and innovation from around the globe focused on fuel cells, battery technology, electric motors and propulsion technologies, AE offers turn-key EV services and solutions across several applications and markets, with a focus on commercial vehicles.
PEM Motion is an engineering service provider with consulting and development solutions focusing on batteries, fuel cells and electric motors as well as the industrialization of mobility products.
PEM Motion was founded in 2014 as a spin-off from Prof. Achim Kampker’s chair for production engineering for e-mobility components (PEM) at the RWTH Aachen University by some talented engineers with the vision that today’s mobility innovation requires a new approach. Since then they have successfully grown to over 100 employees working in eight offices on three continents. Despite being a young organization, PEM has a proven track record. Their customers cover the entire spectrum of the automotive / mobility industry including start-ups that are ready to disrupt the industry with new innovations.
Windsor Mold Group brings 50 years of experience in automotive manufacturing and innovation in supplying world class products and services to domestic and international Customers.
WMG is comprised of two primary divisions. The Tooling Division provides quality tooling solutions for automotive plastics applications, while the Automotive Components Division is a full-service supplier of injection molded plastic components and assemblies, providing innovative solutions to the automotive market.
Through investment in research, people, process development and technology, the Windsor Mold Group of companies provides innovative solutions for complex applications to the global market.
Integris is a digital transformation company focusing on new business opportunities in the medical, manufacturing, and transportation sectors. Born at the MIT Media Lab, Integris has helped to build outstanding digital first companies for over 12 years.
Founding Member Companies
Years of Collective Experience
Locations in Canada, United States and Germany
Windsor-Essex is home to several major research facilities and institutes of higher education, as well as many facilities and programs that enable career-based training. With several strategic initiatives linking higher education and workforce development the area’s post-secondary programs are internationally recognized.
St. Clair College and the University of Windsor are key partners in the Canadian Automobility Hub and provide the critical bridge between industry and research needed to establish an automobility ecosystem and state-of-the-art ramp-up factory.
St. Clair College
- 8 faculties of specialization, featuring 120+ programs, including programs of strength in Electrical, Mechanical and Manufacturing/Automotive Engineering Technologies.
- 15,000 full-time and 1000 part-time students.
- Focused research in five areas of expertise: Advanced Manufacturing, Mobility, Agri-Food and Beverage, Health Sciences, Social Sciences.
- The Ford Centre for Excellence in Manufacturing (FCEM) delivers high quality training for the engineering and manufacturing technology industry. This state-of-the-art teaching facility gives students hands-on training using some of the world’s most sophisticated technology offered in a single college setting.
- The FCEM is a 100,000 square foot standalone building that houses the same technology and equipment used in the industry, with five high-end CAD centres, five precision metal cutting labs, high-speed machining facilities, fluid power labs, industrial automation labs, plastics lab and CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) metrology lab.
University of Windsor
- A comprehensive University with over 16,000 students and 8 Faculty’s; among Canada’s highest percentage of international students
- Faculty of Engineering: Over 1,400 undergraduate, 1,934 graduate students and over 500 student Co-Op Placements
- Faculty of Science: Over 2,500 undergraduate students with a 65% participation rate in research, over 700 graduate students and close to 400 Co-Op placements
- The Ed Lumley Centre for Engineering & Innovation hosts leading edge infrastructure that includes electric motor and drive train testing and development, automotive cybersecurity, automotive manufacturing, design, test & materials labs, electrical and computer systems engineering labs including hybrid drive laboratories and green energy, alternative fuels, wind tunnels and vehicle thermal management labs
- The Faculty of Science hosts Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Mathematics, Economics, the School of the Environment and Physics, and houses a wide range of leading edge infrastructure.
- University of Windsor/Stellantis (Chrysler Canada) Automotive R&D Centre
- The Faculty of Engineering is noted as having one of the top accredited engineering programs in Canada with accreditation from Engineers Canada
Automobility Enterprises (AE) is a Windsor, Ontario based mobility solutions provider focused on the development and manufacturing of innovative products to support the future of sustainable mobility. AE will support customers from concept to series production and assembly, locally in Windsor. Leveraging a proven model and technology partnerships and innovation from around the globe focused on fuel cells, battery technology, electric motors and propulsion technologies, AE offers turn-key EV services and solutions across several applications and markets, with a focus on commercial vehicles. AE is now hiring for several positions – if you want to be part of this this exciting new venture, please contact us today!